- Sunday, 09:00 — Sung Eucharist
The Parish Church of Saint Dyfan and Saint Teilo, Merthyr Dyfan
Merthyr Dyfan church is dedicated to St Dyfan, who, tradition relates, was sent to Wales by Pope Eleutherius in 180 AD, accompanied by St Fagan. The site of Dyfan’s martyrdom came to be called ‘Merthyr Dyfan’, the burial place of Dyfan. The present church was built in the early 13th century.
Outside of CoViD restrictions, there is a Sung Mass at Merthyr Dyfan on Sunday mornings, and Masses on major feast days.
When funds become available from the sale of St Paul’s church and site, we plan to modernise and improve the church interior.
All of our team minister at each of the four churches, but Fr Robert has special responsibility for Merthyr Dyfan.
Rectors of Merthyr Dyfan
- 1640: Thomas Maddocks
- 1669: Philip Hawkins
- 1706: Lucas Thomas (also Rector of Cadoxton)
- 1828: Roper Trevor Tyler (“of Merthyr-Dovan and Winvye”)
- 1833: Gabriel Powell
- 1834: Charles Herbert Jenner (also Rector of Wenvoe)
- in 1891 and 98: Richard Evans
- 1903–1925: David Weatherill (previously Curate-in-Charge for St Paul’s Barry since 1900); later also Rural Dean of Barry, called Rector of Merthyr Dyfan (Barry Docks) (died 6 June 1933)
- 1933–1938: Douglas Keith Maclean Peel, Rector of Merthyr Dyfan with St Paul’s Barry (died 20 April 1959)
- 1938–?: W. L. Harris (also Rural Dean of Barry from 1947)
- 1955–1966: John David Griffiths (died in post, 25 November 1966)
- 1967–1984: Colin Mackie David (died 25 July 1994)
- 1984–1990: (David) Robert Lloyd-Richards
- 1990–2002: Thomas Alexander Doherty
- 2002–2016: Robert Charles Parrish (became Vicar in the Benefice of Barry)
Vicars for Merthyr Dyfan in the Rectorial Benefice of Barry
- 2016–present: Robert Parrish (Vicar)